We are all aware that brushing your teeth on a regular basis prevents cavities and keeps you smiling. But there are many other surprising benefits, including these eight that don’t have to do with your teeth!
- According to a study published in The Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, participants who did not brush on a regular basis had a 65% greater chance of developing dementia compared to those who did brush. So don’t forget to brush!!
- A study in The American Journal of Medicine found that regular brushing decreases the chance of stroke! WOW – 2 very serious diseases can be curtailed with good oral hygiene. And the list goes on…
- As any dentist, hygienist or physician can tell you, regular brushing (and flossing) helps to prevent gum disease. But you may not know that along with causing stinky breath and unattractive smiles, gum disease is a major indicator of heart disease and the number one cause of tooth loss in adults.
- A study published in the Journal of Periodontology has shown that increased brushing decreases the risk of respiratory diseases such as pneumonia and COPD. Why? Bacteria which form on the teeth make their way into the lungs and respiratory tract, wreaking havoc along the way.
- Dental researcher Dr. Caitia Gazola has shown that having healthy teeth and gums increases the chances of having healthy babies, while dental disease can cause underweight pre-term babes. And men – you aren’t off the hook! We strongly suspect that not brushing your teeth regularly can exclude you from the whole pregnancy process!
- Prevention magazine has reported that regular brushing can help you maintain a healthy weight! Why? Brushing your teeth indicated to your brain that mealtime is over. Plus – food just doesn’t taste as good with squeaky clean teeth!
- Okay guys-here’s your turn. Several studies have shown that men with poor oral hygiene are at greater risk for erectile dysfunction. Scared yet???
- Have a heart – a healthy one that is! The American Journal of Medicine has linked dental health with heart attack risk.
So if clean teeth, fresh breath, a beautiful smile and fewer cavities aren’t enough, here are 8 reasons why brushing your teeth on a regular basis can save your life! Plus let’s face it – going around with a big piece of tomato stuck between your chompers is not the most attractive look in the world!
Just as important as brushing your teeth is doing it correctly. And if you are not getting regular dental cleanings, your efforts aren’t nearly as effective.
At Lilly Family Dentistry, we care about your dental health and your medical health too!! If you have any questions or need to make an appointment, please call us right away at 712-239-5125. We are here to help you!!